Friday, May 1, 2009




Last Friday Jack and I decided to take the day off and do something fun with the kids. We ended up going to Bowling Green for the day. On our way north we stopped at the welcome center and checked out all of the fliers on the different things to see and do in the area. We decided on an underground river and cave tour. It was so much fun, the best part though was the crazy Indian (dots not feathers) woman who was on the tour with us. She started out by quizzing the tour guide on the depth of the water and the safety features of the boat. She was worried about tight spaces and if there would be enough air to breathe...she was afraid of bats and bugs...she could not swim (mind you the water is only about 4 feet deep in most places) and she did not want to walk too far, or get wet. It was hysterical, Jack and I could barely keep from cracking up. She rambled on for the entire way down to the cave, I was really hoping the guide would suggest she wait this one out and try the butterfly garden instead, but he didn't.
He began our tour by explaining the safety rules, but after each one this lady had to interupt with a question or comment. Right before boarding the boat he said that the children needed to wear life jackets, but guess who wanted one too. I love the guides response when she said she couldn't swim... He turned and asked sarcastically "can you stand up, the water is at best waist deep." None the less she donned a child's life vest. I wish I had a picture... imagine a rather large chested woman with an orange child-sized life vest on... It looked like a big ugly collar resting on top of two watermelon sized boobs. I thought she was in greater danger of strangulation than drowning. Anyways the tour was really neat the kids loved it, especially every time the boat would rub up against a rock or start to tip a bit and Jack would gasp like we were in great danger, just to see the Indian lady freak out, and see how long I could keep from busting out in laughter.
Just a side note of what not to say on a boat tour with scaredy cat: Is that a bat? Don't they attack people.--Are we almost to the rapids? How many alligators do you usually see during these tours? The water in these underground rivers is mostly acid right?
For some reason this woman made more of an impression on us than any of the rock formations or historical facts our guide pointed out--Oh I forgot to mention him, you know the type balding with a long pony tail, teaches martial arts in his spare time. Purposed to his wife in the cave, got married in the cave... classic!
The adjacent park had a neat area for the kids to mine for gemstones and a butterfly garden. Next, we grabbed some lunch and checked out a few thrift stores then headed to a really cool train museum. We got to tour some really neat Pullman cars, just like you see in old movies, as well as a few other historical trains. The best part was we were the only ones at the museum (because it was during the week) and we were lucky enough to get personal tours and could take our time and check out every detail.
It was an awesome day!

2 comments:

  1. Your description of that lady is hilarious! Makes you wonder why she choose this particular activity. I don't know how you didn't burst into laughter. Those are the kinds of things your kids will always remember. and... I can't believe how much Missy looks like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your descriptions! When I went to Ruby Falls for a field trip one of the mom's started having a panic attack in the cave and screaming that she was claustrophobic. I kept mumbling "then why did you come on the field trip?"

    ReplyDelete