I know this is no excuse but I have been really busy... really.
I just got back this week from a trip to California. I really miss home, I am not a world traveler (yet) but I have my doubts that anywhere could measure up to the central coast of CA. I was very lucky to grow up in one of the most beautiful places on earth. I enjoyed a lovely 70+ degree week in Morro Bay completely missing the ice storms and freezing temps of Nashville.
I need to back up and fill in the gaps as to how how our little impromptu vacation came about. My Dad came for a visit right after Melissa's birthday and I decided it might be fun to hitch a ride back with him saving us half of the airfare. I quickly got online and snapped up some awesome deals on one way tickets for me and the kids. Everything was falling into place when it started to sink in that I was going to drive cross-country with my dad and 3 kids. A little daunting when you consider how my dad travels-- no hotels, no restaurants, no stopping! no stopping! no stopping! He had the car packed and running when Timmy & Missy got off the bus Friday afternoon and left with barely enough time for the kids to change their clothes and use the bathroom. Thank goodness we said goodbye to Jack before he left for work.
On the road...
We left Nashville at about 4pm and drove straight through (only stopping for Missy to use the bathroom once or twice) to Oklahoma City where we stopped for a couple of hours and slept at a truck stop-- slept is not really the right term, that implies that I went to sleep--my dad slept while I took kids the bathroom. I actually got a chance to drive and did so (as fast as a mini van can travel without waking up any of its passengers- another note about how my dad travels 55 MPH !!!!! set via cruise control for optimum gas mileage) My dad took the wheel again somewhere between Oklahoma and Texas. I think I ran out of Dr. pepper about then because everything else is a blur. I know we stopped in Albuquerque around 1pm and let the kids run around for a few hours while dad took a nap and I stumbled around a Target store. We made it to Flagstaff by early evening and this time I found a mall with a play area. Back on the road again until we stopped sometime early Sunday morning at a rest area outside of Barstow where I think I finally passed out for about an hour or so. Dad let me drive again and my plan was to make it to the coast in record time--until Tim got car sick near Tehachapi and I had to stop to clean him up and let him out of the car for a few minutes, when we got back in the van, dad was in the driver seat. We got to Jeannie's about 6 or 7 am, I swear I was shaking due to lack of sleep and the general terror of riding with a 75 year old man who has the reaction time of a... I don't know, I can't think of anything slower at the moment.
Anyway we miraculously made it in one piece, and had a great visit with friends and family in Morro Bay. We spent a day kayaking and an awesome day at the beach. Jack flew in on Friday night and we spent the weekend with his parents in Lompoc. Sunday night we drove down to L.A. to visit with Jack's Brother and his family then spent Monday at Legoland before we flew home on Tuesday.

Wow! We drove straight through to Utah in Dec and I totally know that feeling of being sleep deprived and stuck in a car! But we traveled at 75mph and Nathan is an awesome driver. I can't even imagine the drudgery of going 55mph!!!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you didn't call and give me an excuse to visit the central coast...I still consider that "home" even though we were only there for a few years... Danny and I just spent the weekend in Avila. Sorry your trip was so quick, and I'm glad you all enjoyed it...although driving halfway across the country can't be fun...
ReplyDelete